Our topic of the week is Sanctions – part 2.
‘Punishment hardens and numbs, it produces obstinacy, it sharpens the sense of alienation and strengthens the power of resistance’
Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
– A growing culture of punitive and corrosive punishment/retribution reinforces the ‘them’ and ‘us’ culture in many schools
– It should not be a surprise that we should need to apply sanctions
– Applying sanctions is an opportunity: to teach a child the lines of appropriate behaviour, to model appropriate behaviour, to demonstrate your consistency, to highlight the boundaries both in terms of expected behaviour and in the teacher/pupil relationship, to reinforce the rules and routine
– Redirecting and preventing inappropriate behaviour is the step before the application of sanctions
– Structure for applying sanctions: same routine, appropriate language, procedure not anger
What would you like to hear covered in forthcoming episodes? Let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subscribe to the podcast
- Listen for free every week
- Send in your comments or questions
- Get involved!